Posted on Leave a comment

Laser hair reduction vs. Electrolysis

What is Electrolysis?

Electrolysis is a method that destroys the growth of hair with either chemicals or heat. The hair root is destroyed with the help of a thin wire which is inserted into the hair follicle that destroys the hair root. The damaged follicle does not grow any more hair and existing hair falls out. Most areas of the body can be treated with electrolysis, including the face, eyebrows, thighs, breasts, and legs.

This method of hair removal works well with all skin types and all types of hair colors. It is also safe and suitable for people with conditions like polycystic ovarian syndrome. The hair growth significantly decreases over successive sessions and some people might see no growth at all. Electrolysis is actually a slower method of hair removal and the results may take time which also differs from individual to individual. The benefits of electrolysis include results that last long, no downtime required, and no use of any kind of chemicals that may harm the skin.

The pros of electrolysis:

  • It is permanent and recognized as a permanent hair removal method by FDA.
  • It can be used to remove hair from almost all body parts.
  • The treatment time and the gap between treatments also reduce over time as the hair growth reduces.

The cons of electrolysis:

  • Electrolysis is a lot more expensive as compared to other modes of hair removal.
  • The time for treatments and sessions is really long in the electrolysis treatment it can take as long as 18-22 months to completely get rid of all the hair.
  • Can irritate the skin because the electrologist goes back to the same hair follicle again and again. It can cause whiteheads and scabs in the treated area. It can also cause pigmentation and scarring.
  • The treatment can be painful and cause a stinging sensation
  • This treatment is not suitable for everyone.

What is laser hair reduction?

Laser hair reduction is not permanent but gets rid of 90 percent of your hair, leaving only 10 percent of really fine, barely discernible hair. Basically, the laser light attacks the hair follicles which arrests the growth of the hair follicle and puts it in a dormant state. Even if the hair manages to grow back it will be really fine, lighter, and few.

The laser uses heat beams to damage the hair follicles. These follicles are just beneath the skin and are responsible for hair growth. The heat generated by the beam is used to burn the hair follicle which arrests their growth cycle. The laser beam also targets melanin (a pigment) present in the hair follicle making it lighter. It basically reduces the intensity of the pigment.

When the procedure of laser hair reduction is done properly it can become a more long-term solution when you compare it to the usual methods of hair removal like waxing, shaving, or using hair removal creams. Laser hair reduction is most effective for people which darker thicker hair in which case they may require a few sittings before they see a complete result.

The pros of laser hair reduction:

  • The cost of laser hair reduction may seem expensive at first glance but it is actually not. The amount of money people spend in general on temporary solutions like waxing accumulates to a lot more money than the money spent on laser hair reduction which is a long-term solution for unwanted hair.
  • Laser hair reduction can be used on most parts of the body
  • The pain is really minimal as most people express a slight stinging sensation which is usually not painful. 
  • You start to see results right after the first session there is at least 10 to 25 percent of less hair growth. 
  • It usually has very mild side effects discomfort and slight swelling in the affected areas which go down in 24 hours

The cons of laser hair reduction:

  • It takes time but it does not take as long as electrolysis which takes months. Laser hair reduction takes up to 5-6 sessions to see a 95% reduction in hair growth. 
  • It is not entirely permanent. Even after six sessions, one might require a yearly maintenance treatment for small baby hair which is generally not visible. 
  • It is not advised for pregnant people. 
Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *