Salicylic acid is an ingredient used in many over-the-counter medications. It works effectively as an exfoliant that removes dead skin cells and works on conditions like acne, psoriasis, and warts, and even reduces the signs of aging. The salicylic peel comes under the class of Beta-hydroxy acids (BHA).
Salicylic acid benefits the skin in many ways; it affects the skin’s complexion and evens the overall texture. Salicylic acid peel treatments deeply exfoliate the surface layers of the skin.
Salicylic peels are fairly gentle so they can be used for people who are unable to use other stronger peels. It is a safe and well-tolerated peel that is suitable for all skin types.
Some of the benefits of a salicylic peel include:
- Smooth and bright skin: it makes the skin softer and smoother; it also brightens the complexion and evens the skin’s texture by reducing large pores.
- Comedolytic properties: salicylic peel cleans out clogged pores and dead skin cells that cause acne.
- Anti-inflammatory: it has anti-inflammatory properties that lower inflammation, redness, and swelling caused by acne. It also helps in treating acne.
- Antifungal: it can help treat problems caused by fungi, like fungal acne.
- Desmolytic properties: salicylic peel breaks down the connective tissue holding the cells in the topmost layer, making it easy for the dead skin layer to shed off.
- Controls oil production: the natural oil secreted by our skin is called sebum. Sometimes the skin produces excess sebum that leads to acne breakouts. The salicylic peel reduces the production of sebum which controls acne breakouts.
- Reduces hyperpigmentation: salicylic peel improves problems like melasma and sunspots. Once the superficial layer is removed the skin is refreshed and rejuvenated.